Tuesday, March 16, 2010

spring-like

Bill and I had a reporter from the Herald Gazette stay with us this weekend so she could cover Town Meeting (and Bill's ascent to power!) She said something very interesting about a broadcast she had heard in which the anchor described this past week's "spring breezes." No, said the reporter, they can't be spring breezes because it isn't yet spring.

Well, five days away from spring and things are pretty darn spring-like around here. I was just out with Claude (a reluctant walker today as he'd rather eat whatever dead animal/poop has thawed on the side of the road) and not only is the air balmy and the skunk cabbage high but the perennials are showing signs of life and the daffodils are sprouting a few inches up! What is this, late April?

I am in no way complaining, but I'm also pretty nervous. As a Mainer for (almost) life, I feel like I'm too jaded to accept the warm weather as a trend. It'll probably snow this weekend.

I wrote a song about this weather anxiety actually, although I wrote it before things got all spring-like. I've been told from a number of folks that this year's Farmer's Almanac has us at cold and rainy all spring and summer again, and frankly that's almost too depressing to bear. My song is written with a modicum of hyperbole, but honestly a lot of the details are true (especially about SLUGS. Hot damn was last summer all about slugs.) I'm very proud of it and it's my favorite to date and probably the title track of the album. Unless I decide to change the name of the song.

Got my spring show all cast, pretty exciting group of people! Ibsen here we come.

Love,
Courtney & Her Ukulele

No comments:

Post a Comment